Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A sweet moment with my baby sister


Alayna and I just had a really sweet moment that I just need to write down.  It is one of those moments that you never want to forget.  I have started to pack up my room a little bit today, just because life is going to get really crazy after this weekend and I know that I will be more motivated to keep packing if I start.  Anyways, Alayna has been hanging out in the basement with me all day and I had just finished taking everything off of the walls. (I have TONS of stuff on my walls, picture frames, posters, flags from the countries I’ve been to, etc.) Alayna walks into my room and really sadly looks at the wall and says, “Ashey I really do not like your walls looking like this.”  And comes and sits on my lap.  She is chattering about how we should put everything up really quick before mom gets home, and is just being really sad.  So I looked at her and said, “Lane, you know how I’m getting married in August?”  And she replies, “to Seth, right?” “Yeah babe, to Seth.  Well, when Ashey and Seth get married I’m going to go live in a new house with Seth, but I will come visit you a lot and we won’t have to miss each other that much.”  She looks at me and says with tears on her little cheeks, “But Ashey… I will miss you 100 if you leave here.”  Oh my it just about broke my heart.  We sat on my bedroom floor crying for quite a while, I am sure we just looked ridiculous.  We both were consoled however, when Alayna looked up and me and said, “Well, didn’t Seth find you a house with an Alayna room in it?”  Why yes babe, yes he did!



I am so excite to get married and live with Seth and start my forever with him.  But as humans I think that we like to resist change.  I have lived with my family my entire life.  I never really did that whole move out of the house thing during my college years, and so now this is extra hard!  I am so excited about my “new” life, but sometimes it can be overwhelming.  Especially when I am dealing with 3 year-old emotions!  I just love her (and the rest of my family) SO much; it is hard to think about leaving them! 



But that my friends, is just part of growing up, and I can’t wait to see where God takes us!

He's already there.

3 comments:

  1. Ashlyn my dear....you are not leaving them. Don't think of it like that. You are moving onto a new adventure with them just down the road. The relationship with your parents will change a bit and it will be good. They no longer are your parents and responsible for you, they are giving that responsibility to Seth on your wedding day. They now get to be that friend! I honestly feel closer to my parents "now" more like since, I've been married!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know in my heart that I'm not leaving them, but in moments like that, it can certainly make it feel like! Thank you for those words Sarah, they spoke to me, a lot. I have been thinking about them all morning. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely a bitter-sweet situation, experiencing a loss by leaving your family, but gaining a new beginning and life with your soon-to-be husband...the transition period is always difficult, but I am so happy for you and your exciting new life as a couple. Be comforted in the fact that this transition is hard for you and your sis. It solidifies the fact that your relationship is so close, showing the love you two have for each other! :)

    ReplyDelete